Saturday, November 20, 2010

Blow Out

My poor sweet Elliot.  Thursday started out as such a fun day.  We had learned of a new movie theater that was opening this week, and was showing free movies.  So, we went to see Toy Story 3 (again) with Bryce, and our friends Chrystina, Gabby and Penner.  We had so much fun. 

Until about 7 pm

He was just not acting himself, and told David that his ear hurt.  UH OH! I knew right away, from his history, and the runny nose he'd been sporting, that he was getting an ear infection.  I also knew that he is a MONSTER to give medicine, of any sort to.  I knew I was in for a long, long night with him.

The only way we can get Motrin in him, is to mix the "berry" flavored liquid kind into Orange Soda.  So we did.  He finally started to sleep - for a couple hours, until the pain was unbearable, and he and I came downstairs and popped in a couple movies and tried to find other methods to relieve the pain and suffer it all out.  It really is heart wrenching to watch your child suffer knowing that you can't do a lot for them. He is prone to them, had ear tubes, and still gets some bad infections... ugh. Poor sweetness. 

I don't know what changed, but I think out of sheer exhaustion, but around 4 am, he finally fell asleep... I shmooshed our couches together to make a "bed" for the 2 of us to snuggle on and we slept. 

At 6:45, Zach and Cannon came downstairs to get ready for school.  I was pretty groggy.  Cannon asked why his ear was full of blood. I woke up really quick at that point.  I am not a panicky sort of mom when my kids are sick, or hurt, or bleeding (I leave that role to David) But, maybe from watching too many episodes of CSI, or Criminal Minds, blood coming out of one's ear is NEVER a good thing... so I kinda started stressing.

I knew, that he probably ruptured his ear drum, but I didn't know how that effected his tube, or how that was going to affect his hearing, how much pain he was in, or how I should treat it.  SO we headed to the ER.

The Doctors (we saw 2) couldn't see anything because of the drainage.  One doctor showed me (I love it when docs do this because I learn so much) and really, there was just liquid and bubbles - no ear parts.  So, they called next door to an ENT's office (not our regular one) and got us an immediate appointment... NICE!  His other (left) ear, was fine however.

David got out of class, just in time to help. The ENT had to suction out his ear so that he could see inside. Its not a painful process, but loud and scary from a 3 year old's perspective (ok and a 34 year old's perspective too).  My little man was not happy.  It took David and I both to pin him down.  Elliot was actually angry with David (I was trying to calm and soothe him, so I guess he didn't see me as being mean) but he told David he "wasn't his dad anymore!" (sorry, but I kinda laughed, because 2 seconds later he just wanted David to hug him)

Turns out, some wax had plugged the tube, causing it not to work properly and the ear drum rupturing is the next step... and quite common.  Just not a pleasant thing to be a part of.  He was given 2 antibiotics.

So, we had spent all day at the doctor, and went it was now almost time to pick up kids from school.  I was exhausted, and didn't want to go home, just to drive back to the school, so I went to my sister, Lisa's house and waited there with Brett for Lisa to get home from the airport with Jordan (her oldest daughter who still lives in Idaho) Lisa took pity on me and picked up the kids from school. 

After we got home (his fever spiked at the ENT) and we got some Motrin in him, he took a nap, while I went to pick up his prescriptions. I was greeted by David who told me that that "healthy" left ear had ruptured while I was gone.  UGH! My poor little man! (and my couch had a mess to clean up too).  Emotionally, I sort of hit a wall... I was exhausted, had a huge list of "to-dos" but had no energy from not getting any sleep, but running on adrenaline all day.  Our friend/home teacher came over to help give Elliot a blessing.  I canceled plans that I had for today (Saturday) because I just knew I'd be in zombie-mode today.  Luckily I have really understanding friends.

So today, Elliot is running around with cotton in his ears to help with any drainage. As of this afternoon, he is starting to act like more like himself.  I missed his sweetness, cheerfulness, loving self yesterday. He sure does light up our home. Thank goodness for modern medicine, and friends and family who are always willing to help.

It will take time for the ear drums to heal.  His hearing is temporarily lessened while it heals. He can HEAR, but basically, it sounds muffled to him.  But he is responding just fine to us.   So we are not overly concerned. 

1 comment:

LaurenOpie said...

Oh my goodness Sarah that's terrible! Poor guy. Hope he's all healed up by now.