Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mom's Surprise

My family has this habit, or tradition, or planning trips to come and surprise another member of the family.  This has been done several times successfully, and other times, not so much (thanks to my mom falling and breaking her ankle, the Dr had told her not to fly, therefore canceling the plan)  Nevertheless, the scheming, planning and deceit is always fun to do.

This time, I got to help my mom pull it off!  She told me a couple months ago that she was coming out, the day AFTER Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving week is also a big birthday week, and this year even more so with an 18th birthday, November 24 (my  niece Jordan) and a 16th Birthday on November 26 (my nephew Cody - also the day mom got here) 

So the lies and schemes started.... we had to get together FRIDAY November 26 for a combined family party... it was just the "ONLY" day it would work.  Mom had sent money to spring for some pizza, so I used that as my cover and told my sisters that Saturday just wouldn't do.  (tee hee)  So, I went to get my mom... and walked into my sister, Deb's house, with my mom ahead of me.

I wish I had a camera ready.  Jaws hit the floor, tears started flowing from the shock, surprise and gratitude that Mom was here! (sometimes mom's just make things better!!)  Mom had told Jordan that her birthday present would be late... HA HA - just hand delivered too!

I went to get the pizza's while everyone giggled and talked.  Pizza was eaten, Mom was snuggled.  Deb had bought a cake from our favorite Cake Shop (Sugarlips Cakery).  A split cake for both Jordan and Cody.  (It was almond flavored, with strawberry filling.  They make the best cakes!!) 

We spent the next week with mom... I got her most days since I am home, and Deb and Lisa work.  She split her nights between houses.  Mom, Lisa, Deb and I had lunch together one day.  We had lots of joint family time too!  It was a great visit.

Mom and Dad plan to retire next year (October-ish) They are getting ready for that endevour of their lives.  They have purchased (and are currently renting out) and home in Southern Utah that they will move into once they retire.  It will be so nice to have them 6 hours away, instead of across the country. 

We all missed my Dad on this trip.  He is swamped in a project that is close to deadline, so he couldn't surprise anyone this time.  Maybe next time!

Here are the Bday pics!!



Lots of candles... They each had the proper amount on "their own" side of their cake.  18+16= 34 (hey... so that's what my cake would have looked like this year if I did all my candles!!


LOVE this one... and all the SMOKE! LOL

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That is very awesome that you were able to get all together and have some wonderful time together. Glad that the lies and scheming made a surprise to you too. :)

Katie and Howard said...

So fun!! Glad it all worked out!!
and I love your Christmas card...super cute!